Cambodian-American Dr. Sam Keo Recognized at Cultural Competence and Mental Health Summit XVI



KEO RECOGNIZED AT CULTURAL COMPETENCE AND MENTAL HEALTH SUMMIT XVI

Source: LA County, Dept. of Mental Health
Sam Keo was recognized with the Statewide Cultural Competency Award for his leadership, professional contributions and service, promoting equity and cultural competence at the at the Mental Health Summit: Embracing Social Justice and Equity to Build Healthier Communities on November 17, 2009. The award was presented to Sam by Louise Rogers, MPA, Director of San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services and Rachel Guerrero, LCSW, Chief, Office of Multicultural Services, California Department of Mental Health.

Dr. Keo arrived in this country in 1981 as a refugee from war torn Cambodia. Not only he had to learn English, but he also had to learn to survive especially after a caseworker told him that "he would not amount to anything but a slave to the Americans." He struggled to educate himself first earning a GED and ultimately a doctorate in Psychology. His own experience with post-traumatic stress and his journey to recovery deepened Dr. Keo's compassion for the struggles of others and enduring commitment to helping his community. Dr. Keo does not forget his past; nor is he ashamed of it. This is what gives him strength and resolve.

For more than 18 years, Sam has been a professional in mental health and alcohol and other drug services--and for his tireless advocacy and years of volunteer service to Asian Pacific Islander communities. He currently serves as a Training Coordinator and Continuing Education Director with Los Angeles County Mental Health Department.

Previously, Dr. Keo worked in Long Beach as a clinician and provided interpretation for Cambodian clients. He began his mental health career with Orange County Behavioral Health where he provided direct services to his clients--most of whom were refugees, like himself. He acted as a cultural broker to his fellow clinicians, consulting not only with agency but also to schools, and communities agencies used by the Cambodian community.

As a Training Coordinator, Dr. Keo has been involved in the planning and implementation of annual events such as the Multicultural Conference, Latino Behavioral Health Institute's Conference, the Mental Health and Spirituality Conference, and the Older Adult "Hoarding " Conference.

During the prop 63 campaign, he organized stakeholder meetings in English and Khmer to inform and engage the Cambodian Community. He has volunteered to review written translations to assure accuracy and the cultural relevance of mental health concepts for Cambodian clients and their families. Dr. Keo advocates that the services to the underserved must be culturally sensitive and holistic. Last year, he was honored with the "LBHI Community Award 2008" for his work with diverse populations.
-----
Cultural Competence Professional Award
Acceptance Speech by Dr. Samuel N. Keo
November 17, 2009

I am honored to be selected as a recipient for the Cultural Competence Professional Award for the Summit XVI 2009. I am also honored to be selected from among well deserved nominees.

I was told that America is the land of opportunity. If you work hard, you will get what you want. But, when I first arrived here as a refugee, my Cambodian case worker told me, “You will not amount to anything but a slave to an American.” I shed my tears and I refused to believe him. I know I came to this country with multiple problems. My father and sister were killed by the Communists. My 4 younger brothers, who were under the age of 10, died of starvation and diseases, and I had multiple near death experiences from torture, diseases, and starvation. Half of the Cambodian population perished during the 3 and ½ years of communist regime.

As a result, all Cambodians suffered this sudden loss of family members. In turn, many of them who were in the middle of the holocaust experience PTSD, a disease, multiple problems that I also carry. So when you meet a refugee, whether he or she is Cambodian, Vietnamese, Laos, or Hmong. Please remember that he or she may carry many scars that are invisible, Or wounds that have not yet healed. When you see children of these refugees, perhaps, already born in this country. Please think that they, too have some of these invisible scars. They hear the pains, the torturous stories and the fears from their parents. They witness their parents' reactions and they internalize these as if they are their own. The horrors of war do not end with the refugees but they continue to be lived by their children and their children's children.

As a refugee, I told myself that I would work hard to help my community. Education is the only vehicle that would help me achieve my commitment. I struggled through school and finally got where I wanted to be. My own unique experiences, from trauma to success, have made it easier for me to empathize with the consumers and my fellow Cambodians. There are uncalculated challenges for transformation, outreach and engagement in the underserved Asian population, especially the former refugees from Southeast Asia, such as, Cambodian, Hmong, Laos, and Vietnamese. Let’s assure them that they will get the service that is appropriate to their needs culturally and let them know that “America is still the land of opportunity”.

Before I close, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to my family, my friends, and my colleagues who believed in me and who have supported me through my difficult time. This award is as much for my family and my community as it is for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here